After extensive kaolin deposits had been found in Tirschenreuth, porcelain production started in the 1830s. Porcelain Factory Tirschenreuth was first a subsidiary of the Schney Porcelain Factory (1782 – 1928). Subsequent partners respectively owners were Edmund Tittel, Friedrich Muther and August Bauscher. The latter sold his part to Karl Metzger and the company operated under the name Muther & Metzger. Following acquisition by Lorenz Hutschenreuther AG, the factory between 1927 and 1994 was conducted as a branch establishment. Peter Preuschel and Franz Göhl then carried on the factory’s porcelain tradition until, in 2006, they were followed by Azzurro GmbH.
Porcelain was also made at a stove builder’s workshop set up by Leonard Wallner in 1865. In 1969, Martin and Hans Zehendner, Christian Seltmann and Johann Wallner took over the business, which constantly grew due to acquisitions and new branches. When the Zehendner family in 1989 left the company, their parts passed over to the Bäumler family and a Mr Eh. In 1992, the segments tiles and porcelain were divided into two separate factories. This brought up Zehendner Ceramic Works and SMCS Porcelain Factory Tirschenreuth which were closed down in 1998 resp. 2002. The manufactory characterized by handicraft was re-established in 2002 under the name Zehendner Ceramics GmbH. It is a specialist for tiles and tiled stoves – from urban to elegant.
The Museum Quarter called MQ is situated in a restored monastery in the town and combines Upper Palatinate Fishery Museum with aquariums, tourist info, the house at the pond and a reconstructed monastery garden. Besides regional tradition of pond farming, the complex focuses on five subjects of the town’s history. One of it is porcelain for which Tirschenreuth became internationally known.
In the Land of a 1000 ponds, as the region around Tirschenreuth is called, the annual Experience Weeks Fish invite for fascination and contact with fish.
In 2013 Tirschenreuth was the place for the garden show Nature around the so-called Fischhof isle which once hosted the farm buildings of the abbots from Waldsassen surrounded by a 190 hectare big city pond. The area with a lot of attractions is now maintained by a supporter’s association and used for cultural events.
For stargazers: observatory & planet trail
Water playground Fischers Fritz at Fischhof Park
Caravan site at large parking area & at Fischhof Park
Handicraft Christmas Market at Fischhof Park