Museum am Maxplatz
Maxplatz 5 – 9
Maxplatz 5 – 9
Naturhof Fassmannsreuther Erde
In 1880, a consortium of citizens from Rehau founded a partnership
called Zeh, Scherzer & Co, which at the end of the 19th century exported more than 70 percent of its production to the USA. Later on, the company set up an art department to produce figurines, involving artists who before had not cooperated with porcelain firms.
During the 1990s, the company’s object was shifted from porcelain
production to asset management.
Porcelain history was also written by Hertel, Jacob & Co, a company
which existed from 1906 to 1970. During the 1960s, the plant was
owned by Melitta for a short time producing coffee filters and similar
articles made from porcelain in
The town with the highest industrial density in Bavaria has also significant cultural aspects. Its museum complex situated at Maxplatz focuses on the town’s history mainly characterized by the two local porcelain companies, but also by tanner handicraft and the river pearl mussel. The Sudeten German’s cultural heritage is documented at two historic centres called Ascher Heimatstube and Roßbacher Weberstube. Next to it, dolls from more than a century are shown at the Dolls and Toys Collection.
Where Zeh, Scherzer & Co produced porcelain until 1990, there is now a place for art named REHAU ART, established by plastic producer REHAU as a communication centre with art gallery. Constructive art and concrete poetry can be experienced at the municipal art gallery showing between four and five exhibitions per year and hosting the eugen gomringer archive.
- Parish church in the area of Pilgramsreuth with altar & pulpit made by Elias Räntz
- Open-air swimming poo Rehau
- Biking through the old valley of river Regnitz (three countries tour) | 55 km (circular trail)
- Christmas market at Maxplatz