Josef Pfeiffer from Fischern (Rybáře) and Ludwig Löwenstein from Lichtenstadt (Hroznětín) founded a porcelain factory in this place in 1873, not far from kaolin and coal mines. Under the direction of the founders’ sons Pfeiffer & Löwenstein the company experienced a huge economic boom. It delivered white ware to Vienna (e.g. Josef Böck) as well as other porcelain centres and became known for its thin, almost transparent porcelain. During the time of National Socialism, Rudolf Löwenstein’s widow was expropriated. She and her youngest son died in a concentration camp. The trade name of PULS (after 1945) has kept the initials of Löwenstein. The company was nationalized after World War II and was integrated into Porcelain Factory Concordia (founded in 1888 in Lesov, today Thun 1794 a. s
PORCELAIN AT THE MONASTERY
In the 1990s, the city of Ostrov, supported by an association, started to collect porcelain from former local production, which in specialist catalogues is cited for its high quality under the name of the town’s original German name Schlackenwerth. This significant collection can be seen at the monastery’s church located at the western edge of the historic old town. Besides Mariä Annunciation Church, the so-called holy district includes three chapels and a monastery garden with eco centre.
MORE EXCURISON DESTINATIONS
The extended Baroque castle complex is also worth seeing, as well as the castle’s park set up in the spirit of Italian Renaissance gardens with fountains, artificial ponds and rock formations. Inside the park, once called the eighth wonder of the world, you will find Abraham Leuthner’s summer residence Bílý dvůr, set up in 17th century. In former times it was a place for the dukes’ and margraves’ pleasures and today, as a subsidiary of Karlovy Vary Art Gallery, shows art from the 20th century.
- Nice path along river Eger
Horní Hrad (Hauenstein Castle) – How to build a castle
Bicycle path portal cykloportal.ostrov.cz